Results/Match Reports

Click this text to start editing. This block is great for showcasing a particular feature or aspect of your business. It could be a signature product, an image of your entire staff, an image or your physical location, etc. Double click the image to customize it.

Nottingham Outlaws v Goole Vikings 

Saturday 2 March 2019


10 - 8

The Goole Vikings launched their 2019 campaign with a heart stopping 10-8 defeat in their opening Forty20 Cup fixture against Premiership side the Nottingham Outlaws. There was never more than one score between the two sides with both teams enjoying periods of dominance but it was the Outlaws who held on for a narrow victory thanks to a single conversion.

The Vikings took to the field for their first competitive game with a much changed team due to injuries and work commitments including the injured Alex Turner and club Captain Josh Hardy Indeed after fifteen minutes of scrappy opening play neither side appeared capable of completing their sets  as the ball went to ground with alarming regularity, due mainly to some poorly directed passing.

It was from one of these dropped passes that the Outlaws found themselves on the defensive and they were duly punished as Goole finally opened their account. Deciding to run it on the last tackle good hands saw Luke Nicholls touch down in the corner to nudge the Vikings into a 4-0 lead.

Stung by this reversal the Outlaws upped the pace and within ten minutes they drew level as skipper Oliver Dale latched onto the ball at pace and powered through a gap to level the scores at 4-4.

As the first half drew to a close it appeared likely that the teams might go into the break on level pegging but with the clock ticking down Nottingham went over the line with a great try, again latching onto a short ball at pace to nudge the Outlaws ahead  10-4 as the referee drew the first half to a close.

After thirty minutes of second half stalemate the Outlaws launched yet another attack but as a loose pass went to ground young Matty Perry swooped on the lost ball and the Vikings centre swept 90 metres up the pitch to score the try of the game under the sticks to reduce the Outlaws lead to 10-8. Crucially Perry’s conversion was missed and this was to be the deciding factor in the game.

As the clock ticked down the Outlaws found themselves under concerted pressure from the eager Vikings but good defence and two disallowed try’s kept them at bay as they finally held on for a win by the narrowest of margins.

The Vikings continued to grow with confidence as they completed their third game since forming as a club in October 2018 and once again found themselves pitted against a team in the Premiership. Matt Perry was named Goole’s Man of the Match narrowly beating a work horse performance by stand in Captain Dave Backhouse to the honour.

The Vikings are finally showcasing their talent this Saturday as they host Dewsbury Moor in the second round of the Forty 20 Cup at the Victoria Pleasure Grounds when they become the first Goole team to play a competitive game at the ground in over 80 years, finally rugby league has returned to its spiritual home.

Kick off for the Vikings will be at 2pm but gates open at 12 with a curtain raiser game featuring the Beverley Braves U10 v Holderness Vikings U10 to kick off at 12.30. Super League star Castleford Tigers Liam Watts will be at the ground to meet fans throughout the afternoon. It will be a great family occasion celebrating the historic return of Rugby League to Goole. Entry is FREE for everyone so come down and enjoy the day.




FT 12 - 16

On Saturday the Victoria Pleasure Grounds was transformed back to its original condition, that of a rugby ground, as the Nationwide Concrete Flooring sponsored Goole Vikings prepared to play the first competitive game of rugby league hosted by a Goole team in over 80 years.

The afternoon began with a fine exhibition of junior rugby by the Beverley Braves ARLFC U10 side versus the Holderness Vikings ARLFC U10, the children did extremely well playing with both passion and pride. Beverley won the match by 38 points to 6​, the score did not however give a true reflection of the game as both sides were equally matched throughout.

At 2 o’clock Vikings Captain Josh Hardy proudly lead his team out of the tunnel and on to the field of play to a rapturous applause by the crowd.

During the first 20 minutes Goole were under the cosh of a far more experienced Dewsbury side hardly leaving their own half, Dewsbury took the lead with a powerful try by Lewis Harvey.

Halfway through the first half Goole found their stride and after a nervous start started to attack the Dewsbury line with a growing regularity however a strong Dewsbury defence kept the Vikings at bay and the half ended with the Vikings trailing by only four points.

The second half started very much the same way as the first with Goole been on the back foot which again was exploited by Dewsbury going over the try line within 5 minutes of the whistle sounding to start the half, the try was converted giving Dewsbury a 10 point lead.

This try led to a switch been thrown in the Vikings camp and the possession tide started to turn, some crunching tackles by Viking props Dan Cook and Micheal Martinez saw Dewsbury realise they were in a game and that Goole had not yet given up and were a team to be reckoned with.

After some fast hands and jinxing runs on the 59th minute Goole’s Trevor Wilson went over the whitewash and into the history books becoming the first Goole player to score a competitive try at the Victoria Pleasure Grounds since 1938. Despite strong cross winds Scott Turner dissected the uprights to bring the score to 6 - 10.

Unfortunately only ten minutes later Dewsbury’s Jackson Walker found a gap in the Goole defence to score what could have been the decisive try which was converted leaving the Vikings trailing by 10 points with only 10 minutes remaining, rather then letting their heads drop the Vikings went on the rampage making a tiring Dewsbury defence look ordinary and after what was the best attacking display of the game Goole’s young full back Ben Hodder flew over the line to reduce the deficit to 6 points which after another accurate conversion by Scott Turner was further reduced to 4.

Straight from the restart Goole we’re on the attack again and after the first tackle found themselves only feet away from Dewsbury’s try line the second tackle found Goole agonisingly inches away from the whitewash and looking like a try was imminent but the referee’s watch decided the game was over and he blew for full time leaving Goole cruelly missing out on their first ever victory by only four points.

Guest of honour at the match Goole’s Mayor Cllr Richard Walker and Castleford Tigers Super League star Liam Watts both agreed that the man of the match for Goole was the forward wrecking ball Micheal Martinez who’s strength in both attack and defence was unmatchable and proved a constant problem to the visitors.

The future looks bright for the Goole Vikings, once they are pitted against teams in their own league, as each game their fitness, strength and team spirit within the camp is crowing and the marauding Vikings are assured to become a force to be reckoned with.

The Game Ball was kindly sponsored by the Goole Times, the Vikings were helped throughout the day by Flt Lt Mathew Hillam and the Air Cadets from 2357 (Goole) Squadron Air Training Corps who worked tirelessly selling raffle tickets and programmes. The day certainly lived up to expectations with a large crowd of happy supporters enjoying a great sporting spectacular a feeling of true community spirit was felt around the Victoria Pleasure Grounds and it is hoped that there will be a lot more to come throughout the summer months. Rugby League is certainly back in Goole with a vengeance.

Goole Vikings play their next game away to Queensbury ARLFC this Saturday kick Off is at 2pm